Cadacus WCF Service Download and Installation
If assistance is needed to implement sound testing, operational backup, and a recovery process, please contact your appropriate support provider.
Released : August 03, 2021
The Cadacus WCF (Windows Communication Foundation) Service is based on a Microsoft framework for communicating messages between our Handheld WMS solution and the SYSPRO application server.
To use this version of Cadacus WCF Service, the minimum version of Microsoft .NET Framework (4.5.2, or greater) must be installed. Most modern Windows servers manage this requirement without manual intervention; however, if there is a question as to which version is installed, please contact your IT department to verify this minimum version is met.
Click the download button below and save the installation file. Run the installation program "as Administrator" (required) on the SYSPRO application server. Follow the prompts of the installation program.
Edit the configuration file as required. If the service is being updated, the current configuration file will be saved. Please compare the new and old configuration file and reset the values as needed. To save the changes to the configuration file, Notepad (or your favorite text editor) must be "run as administrator". The configuration file is called CadacusWCFService.exe.config in the folder where the service was installed (typically "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cadacus\WCFService").
The configuration parameters are explained in the configuration file.
For SYSPRO 8, the configuration parameter "UseSysproWCF" must be set to "Yes" and the SYSPRO load balancer must be using the default port.
Go to Windows Services and "Start" the Cadacus WCF Service
Queued Posting Feature
Queued posting provides for the following benefits in the Handheld WMS Solution
- improved performance: transaction queues provide load leveling to prevent sending applications (handheld devices) from overwhelming the receiving application (SYSPRO) during peak work loads
- failure isolation: sending and receiving applications can fail without affecting each other
- disconnected operations: in some limited availability networks where mobile devices might move in- and out-of range in a wireless network, message queuing allows connections to drop and be re-established without interrupting the worker's task at hand
Multiple instance installation
The service allows for multiple instances to be installed. This allows for multiple ports to be used for either load balancing, isolation or multiple configurations.
Note: It is not recommended in a normal installation to have multiple instances. Testing, configuration desires or remote locations on slower connections could be uses of this feature.
In order for a handheld device to use the additional instance the port number in the handheld device web services configuration needs to be set to the port number of the instance the device should use.
To install an additional instance of the service start a command prompt "as administrator" and issue the following command.
- C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\InstallUtil /Instance=2 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cadacus\WCFService\CadacusWCFService.exe
To install more instances, change the "2" in the /Instance=2 to a different number.
The port number associated with each instance will be 1990 + the instance number. Port 1991 is the first instance, 1992 will be the port for instance number 2, etc.
To install an additional instance using a different configuration file.
In the C:\Program Files (x86)\Cadacus\WCFService\ folder
- Copy CadacusWCFService.exe to CadacusWCFService2.exe (or similar)
- Copy CadacusWCFService.exe.config to CadacusWCFService2.exe.config (match name used in step 1)
- Edit new config file as desired
- Issue the command C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\InstallUtil /Instance=2 CadacusWCFService2.exe (match name used in step 1)
- Remember if this is done and the WCF service is upgraded the exe file must be copied over again and the config file checked for changes.
Cadacus WCF Service testing and troubleshooting
- To verify the Cadacus WCF Service is working properly, follow the Testing the WCF Service instructions.